All this week we are focusing on each of the five factions within Divergent by Veronica Roth. Today, we turn our attention to Erudite: The Intelligent.
ERUDITE: characterized by great knowledge; learned or scholarlyThe word “erudite” focuses on knowledge rather than intelligence– intelligence being something you’re born with, and can’t necessarily control, and knowledge being something that you acquire. I find that interesting, given what I know about Erudite.
As you might have gathered, the Erudite favor intelligence, knowledge and learning above all else. Here are some excerpts from the Erudite manifesto:
- “Ignorance” is defined not as stupidity but as lack of knowledge.
- Lack of knowledge inevitably leads to lack of understanding.
- Lack of understanding leads to a disconnect among people with differences.
- Disconnection among people with differences leads to conflict.
- Knowledge is the only logical solution to the problem of conflict.
If you’re the type of person who likes to hit the books hard, study for all your tests, go above & beyond on homework, etc. you might just fit in perfectly with the Erudite.
For the comments: What do you think of the Erudite & their love of knowledge? Would you fit in with them?