Today, we’re delighted to be hosting a stop on the official blog tour for Last Day On Mars by Kevin Emerson, the first in a new series about humans seeking a new life in space after Earth is destroyed. (Be sure to keep reading for your chance to win a copy!)
The book is fun and exciting, and its publishers at Walden Pond Press have put together an AMAZING educator’s guide that uses the book for STEM curriculum, as well as other great classroom activities. You guys know how much I LOVE it when a new book that will excite young readers also ties into the classroom. And Last Day on Mars is chock-full of opportunities for just that.
Check out the amazing educator’s guide for yourself here:HERE
It is Earth Year 2213—but, of course, there is no Earth anymore. Not since it was burned to a cinder by the sun, which has mysteriously begun the process of going supernova far sooner than anyone expected.The human race has fled to Mars, but this was only a temporary solution while preparing for a second trip: a 150-year journey to Aaru-5, a distant star, humanity’s best guess at a good spot for a new home.Liam Saunders-Chang is one of the last humans left on Mars. The son of two scientists who have been racing against time to create technology to ensure humanity’s survival, Liam, along with his friend Phoebe, will be on the last starliner to depart before Mars, like Earth before it, is destroyed.Or so he thinks. Because before the last day on Mars is over, Liam and Phoebe will make a series of profound discoveries about the nature of time and space and find out that the human race is just one of many in the universe locked in a dangerous struggle for survival. Kevin Emerson has written the first book in an ambitious space epic—a powerful, emotional, pulse-pounding story of the final days of humanity’s first home beyond Earth, and the desperate search for another.
- “Enigmatic enemies, sabotage, space travel, and short, bone-wracking bits of time travel make for a banging adventure.” Kirkus Reviews (Starred)
- “Last Day on Mars is thrillingly ambitious and imaginative. Like a lovechild of Gravity and The Martian, it’s a rousing space opera for any age, meticulously researched and relentlessly paced, that balances action, science, humor, and most importantly, two compelling main characters in Liam and Phoebe. A fantastic start to an epic new series.” —Soman Chainani, New York Times bestselling author of the School for Good and Evil series
- “Emerson’s writing explodes off the page in this irresistible space adventure, filled with startling plot twists, diabolical aliens, and (my favorite!) courageous young heroes faced with an impossible task.” —Lisa McMann, New York Times bestselling author of the Unwanteds series
- Jan. 27th Unleashing Readers
- Jan. 30th SciFi Chick
- Feb. 1st This Kid Reviews Books
- Feb. 3rd Walden Media Tumblr
- Feb. 6th Word Spelunking
- Feb. 7th Novel Novice
- Feb. 8th Charlotte’s Library
- Feb. 9th Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers
- Feb. 10th Librarian’s Quest
Connect on Social Media:
- Kevin Emerson on Twitter
- Walden Pond Press Twitter
- Walden Pond Press Facebook
- Walden Media Tumblr
- LAST DAY ON MARS website on Walden Media
U.S. only. Contest runs through midnight (PT) on Tuesday, February 14th.
To enter, tell us in the comments: what would YOU bring with you to Mars? Then fill out the Rafflecopter form to complete your entry: