* * *
When I Go to Paris
by Lisa Schroeder
It will probably surprise some people I’ve never actually been to Paris. I did a lot of research for MY SECRET GUIDE TO PARIS, and while I wish I could have done a research trip, it just wasn’t in the cards. The nice thing was that my editor had traveled there, so she was able to point out anything that didn’t sound quite right.
But I really do hope to go someday. So what do I dream of doing while I’m there? Here’s my list:
- Visit the famous book shop Shakespeare and Company
- Take a boat ride down the Siene River
- See the famous Dodo carousel, which is made up of all extinct animals
- Go to a flea market
- Visit as many of the gardens as I can, but I really hope to make it to Parc Monceau, which is sited as “one of Paris’s most romantic parks.”
- Musee de l”Orangerie, where Monet’s Water Lilies can be seen
- Visit Notre Dame
- See a view of the city from the Pantheon (even though I’m terrified of heights)
- Visit Ile Saint-Louis, also known as the “little island” – it looks so cute!
- Visit the Marche aux Fleurs – the flower market, and also the bird market that is there every Sunday, I believe
- Of course there would be a bakery visit just about every day. One of my friends went there in August and she said every morning they had fresh croissants from the bakery near the home where they were staying, and it was glorious.
- Visit the Louvre
I’m sure I’m missing some things, but I still have time to add to my list. Every year I say, maybe this is the year. I bought a travel guide with a big map for research, so I’m truly ready to go anytime. Someday it will be so, and it will be amazing, I just know it!