I’ve got a sneak peek at a fun new middle grade book for you today, plus keep reading for your chance to win a copy of Elizabeth Webster & the Court of Uncommon Pleas by William Lashner.
[pdf-embedder url=”https://novelnovice.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/210/2019/10/Elizabeth-Webster-and-the-Court-of-Uncommon-Pleas-PAGES-1-5.pdf” title=”Elizabeth Webster and the Court of Uncommon Pleas, PAGES 1 – 5″]
Elizabeth Webster is happy to stay under the radar (and under her bangs) until middle school is dead and gone. But when star swimmer Henry Harrison asks Elizabeth to tutor him in math, it’s not linear equations Henry really needs help with-it’s a flower-scented, poodle-skirt-wearing, head-tossing ghost who’s calling out Elizabeth’s name.
But why Elizabeth? Could it have something to do with her missing lawyer father? Maybe. Probably. If only she could find him. In her search, Elizabeth discovers more than she is looking for: a grandfather she never knew, a startling legacy, and the secret family law firm, Webster & Son, Attorneys for the Damned.
Elizabeth and her friends soon land in court, where demons and ghosts take the witness stand and a red-eyed judge with a ratty white wig hands out sentences like sandwiches. Will Elizabeth’s father arrive in time to save Henry Harrison-and is Henry the one who really needs saving?
Set in the historic streets of Philadelphia, this riveting middle-grade mystery from New York Times best-selling author William Lashner will have readers banging their gavels and calling for more from the incomparable Elizabeth Webster.
William Lashner is the New York Times Bestselling creator of Victor Carl, who has been called by Booklist one of the mystery novel’s “most compelling, most morally ambiguous characters.” The Victor Carl novels, which have been translated into more than a dozen foreign languages and have been sold all across the globe, include BAGMEN, KILLER’S KISS, FALLS THE SHADOW, FATAL FLAW, and HOSTILE WITNESS. He is also the author of GUARANTEED HEROES, THE BARKEEP, which was an Edgar Award nominee and a Digital Book World Number One Bestseller, THE ACCOUNTING, and BLOOD AND BONE.
Writing under the pseudonym of Tyler Knox, Lashner is also the author of KOCKROACH, described as “roaringly entertaining,” by Publisher’s Weekly, and “an energetic tour de force,” by USA Today. As Tyler Knox he has written a number of book reviews for the Washington Post Book World.
Lashner was a criminal prosecutor with the Department of Justice in Washington D.C. before quitting the law to write fulltime. A graduate of the New York University School of Law, as well as the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, he lives with his wife and three children outside Philadelphia.
William Lashner Photo © Sigrid Estrada
- 10/1/2019- Pandora’s Books– Excerpt
- 10/2/2019- Southern Girl Bookaholic– Review
- 10/3/2019- Shelf-Rated– Review
- 10/4/2019- BookHounds YA– Excerpt
- 10/7/2019- Odd and Bookish– Review
- 10/8/2019- EatingbetweenthelinesINC– Review
- 10/9/2019- Little Red Reads– Review
- 10/10/2019- History from a Woman’s Perspective– Review
- 10/11/2019- Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers– Excerpt
- 10/14/2019- Books_andPoetrii– Excerpt
- 10/15/2019- Jena Brown Writes– Review
- 10/16/2019- Nerdophiles– Review
- 10/17/2019- Savings in Seconds– Review
- 10/18/2019- The Reading Corner for All– Review
- 10/21/2019- Books a Plenty Book Reviews– Review
- 10/22/2019- Wonder Struck– Review
- 10/23/2019- Smada’s Book Smack– Review
- 10/24/2019- Novel Novice– Excerpt
- 10/25/2019- fictitious.fox– Review