Today, we’ve got a sneak peek at Words We Don’t Say by K.J. Reilly, a new contemporary YA that tackles some big issues. Keep reading for an excerpt from the book, plus your chance to win a finished copy.
Ever since the thing that happened, there are certain people he hasn’t been able to talk to in person. Sure, he shows up at school, does his mandatory volunteer hours at the soup kitchen, and spends pretty much every moment thinking about Eli, the most amazing girl in the world. But that doesn’t mean he’s keeping it together, or even that he has any friends.
So instead of hanging out with people in real life, he drafts text messages. But he never presses send.
As dismal as sophomore year was for Joel, he doesn’t see how junior year will be any better. For starters, Eli doesn’t know how he feels about her, his best friend Andy’s gone, and he basically bombed the SATs. But as Joel spends more time at the soup kitchen with Eli and Benj, the new kid whose mouth seems to be unconnected to his brain, he forms bonds with the people they serve there-including a veteran they call Rooster-and begins to understand that the world is bigger than his own pain.
- 10/8/2018- BookHounds YA– Excerpt
- 10/9/2018- Utopia State of Mind– Review
- 10/10/2018- Here’s to Happy Endings– Review
- 10/11/2018- Abellafairytale– Review
- 10/12/2018- Do You Dog-ear?– Review
- 10/15/2018- YA Books Central– Excerpt
- 10/16/2018- The Pages In-Between– Review
- 10/17/2018- A Dream Within A Dream– Excerpt
- 10/18/2018- Book-Keeping– Review
- 10/19/2018- Beware Of The Reader– Review
- 10/22/2018- Rainy Day Reviews– Excerpt
- 10/23/2018- Moonlight Rendezvous– Review
- 10/24/2018- The Cover Contessa– Review
- 10/25/2018- Jena Brown Writes– Review
- 10/26/2018- A Fictional Bookworm– Review
- 10/29/2018- PopTheButterfly Reads– Review
- 10/30/2018- Cindy’s Love of Books– Review
- 10/31/2018- The Desert Bibliophile– Review
- 11/1/2018- Trendy Simple Life– Review
- 11/2/2018- Patriotic Bookaholic– Review
- 11/5/2018- Coffee, Books and Cakes– Review
- 11/6/2018- Savings in Seconds– Review
- 11/7/2018- Novel Novice– Excerpt
- 11/8/2018- For the Love of KidLit– Spotlight
- 11/9/2018- Two points of interest– Review