We’re just a couple weeks away now from the June 5th release of Smoke in the Sun by Renee Ahdieh, the sequel to Flame in the Mist — so to help you get ready for the new book, we’re taking a look back at the first book in this lush fantasy set in Feudal Japan.
FLAME IN THE MIST:
The daughter of a prominent samurai, Mariko has long known her place–she may be an accomplished alchemist, whose cunning rivals that of her brother Kenshin, but because she is not a boy, her future has always been out of her hands. At just seventeen years old, Mariko is promised to Minamoto Raiden, the son of the emperor’s favorite consort–a political marriage that will elevate her family’s standing. But en route to the imperial city of Inako, Mariko narrowly escapes an ambush by a dangerous gang of bandits known as the Black Clan, who she learns has been hired to kill her before she reaches the palace.
Dressed as a peasant boy, Mariko decides to infiltrate the ranks of the Black Clan, determined to track down the person responsible for the target on her back. But she’s quickly captured and taken to the Black Clan’s secret lair, where she meets their leader, the rebel ronin Takeda Ranmaru, and his second-in-command, his best friend Okami. Ranmaru and Okami eventually warm to her, impressed by her intellect and ingenuity, though they still believe her to be a boy. As Mariko gets closer to the Black Clan, she uncovers a dark history of secrets, of betrayal and murder, which will force her to question everything she’s ever known.
SMOKE IN THE SUN
After Okami is captured in the Jukai forest, Mariko has no choice–to rescue him, she must return to Inako and face the dangers that have been waiting for her in the Heian Castle. She tricks her brother, Kenshin, and betrothed, Raiden, into thinking she was being held by the Black Clan against her will, playing the part of the dutiful bride-to-be to infiltrate the emperor’s ranks and uncover the truth behind the betrayal that almost left her dead.
With the wedding plans already underway, Mariko pretends to be consumed with her upcoming nuptials, all the while using her royal standing to peel back the layers of lies and deception surrounding the imperial court. But each secret she unfurls gives way to the next, ensnaring Mariko and Okami in a political scheme that threatens their honor, their love and the very safety of the empire.
Renée Ahdieh is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her spare time, she likes to dance salsa and collect shoes. She is passionate about all kinds of curry, rescue dogs, and college basketball. The first few years of her life were spent in a high-rise in South Korea; consequently, Renée enjoys having her head in the clouds. She lives in Charlotte, North Carolina, with her husband and their tiny overlord of a dog. She is the author of Flame in the Mist as well as the #1 New York Times bestselling The Wrath and the Dawn and its sequel, The Rose and the Dagger.
FLAME IN THE MIST
- May 21 – Velaris Reads – Makeup Look + Creative Instagram Picture
- May 22 – Live Laugh Read – Favorite Moments from Book 1
- May 23 – My Friends are Fiction – Creative Instagram Picture
- May 24 – Novel Novice – Creative Instagram Picture
- May 25 – Enchanted with Words – Review + Creative Instagram Picture
- May 28 – Adventures of a Book Junkie – Spotlight + Giveaway
- May 29 – That’s Normal – Social Media Promo
- May 30 – Seeing Double In Neverland – Review + Creative Instagram Picture
- May 31 – One Way or an Author – Playlist + Book Graphics
- June 1 – Book Is Glee – Creative Instagram Picture
SMOKE IN THE SUN
- June 4 – Velaris Reads – Makeup Look + Creative Instagram Picture
- June 5 – Live Laugh Read – Instagram Picture
- June 6 – My Friends are Fiction – Review
- June 7 – Novel Novice – Styled by Books
- June 8 – Enchanted with Words – Review + Creative Instagram Picture
- June 11 – Adventures of a Book Junkie – 5 Reasons To Read It
- June 12– That’s Normal – Giveaway
- June 13– Seeing Double In Neverland – Moodboard
- June 14 – One Way or an Author – Playlist + Book Graphics
- June 15 – Book Is Glee – Creative Instagram Picture