Today, we’re hosting a stop on the official blog tour for There’s Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins, which wins the award this year for book that I both simultaneously enjoyed and regretted reading. Why, you ask?
Well, I adore Stephanie Perkins, and I’ve loved her previous books. But I’m also a big ol’ weenie when it comes to horror and scary stuff.
And Stephanie really nails the horror, scary stuff in this book.
Here’s a look at the 10 things I experienced while reading There’s Someone Inside Your House:
I went into this book with trepidation. It was described as “a fresh take on the classic teen slasher story” — and I’ve never done well with slasher stories. The graphic violence, though unpleasant, has never even been the big turnoff for me. What does me in is the building up of suspense. Jump scares and tension and not knowing if someone might literally be inside my house. So I proceeded with caution as I cracked this book open.
2. So far so good …
Okay, that first murder wasn’t fun, but I’m doing okay, getting to know the characters and the setting.
3. The Steph Perkins Swoon Factor
Slasher/horror element aside, this is still a Stephanie Perkins book — and all the romance and swooniness you’d expect from one of her books is here in all it’s wonderful, romantic glory.
4. Ewwww …
Forget what I said earlier about not being “that bothered” by the gore/violence. How can the same mind that dreamed up Étienne St. Clair also come up with THAT murder?!
5. I know the book is called There’s Someone Inside Your House … but is there someone inside MY house?!
Every creak and groan and settling of my house has started to become suspect.
6. NEED MORE LIGHTS ON.
The darkness of the hallway beyond my bedroom door is not okay. Nope. Time to go turn every light in the house on.
7. Must. Keep. Reading.
Okay, this is intense AF and I am jumping at imaginary sounds now, but maybe if I just finish the book and get to a nice, resolved, happy Steph Perkins ending, I’ll be okay. It will be okay.
8. I am not okay.
This is not a nice Steph Perkins book, and I see no happy ending in sight.
9. I … survived?
Okay, I’ve finished the book. I made it. But … what was that noise? It’s 2am. I have to wake my husband up. For reasons, okay?! I’m not really going to sleep much after that.
10. Time for fluff!
I followed-up this book with a fluffy, romantic book. Because NOPE. I still can’t do horror, even when it’s written by Stephanie Perkins. I regret my life choices.
Thanks for freaking me out, Stephanie. Despite being traumatically terrorized by this book, I actually really did like it! I can’t say I ~enjoyed~ the reading experience entirely. But the book was great. So, I hereby award There’s Someone Inside Your House the BEST BOOK I REGRET READING award:
Scream meets YA in this hotly-anticipated new novel from the bestselling author of Anna and the French Kiss.
One-by-one, the students of Osborne High are dying in a series of gruesome murders, each with increasing and grotesque flair. As the terror grows closer and the hunt intensifies for the killer, the dark secrets among them must finally be confronted.International bestselling author Stephanie Perkins returns with a fresh take on the classic teen slasher story that’s fun, quick-witted, and completely impossible to put down.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
- September 18 – Mostly YA Lit – Author Q&A
- September 19 – Here’s to Happy Endings – Review
- September 20 – Peace Love Books – Review
- September 21 – Lost in Lit – Book Photography
- September 22 – Novel Novice – How You’re Going to Feel While Reading TSIYH
- September 25 – Stories & Sweeties – Review
- September 26 – In Wonderland – Book Photography
- September 27 – Book Addict’s Guide – Bookish Candle
- September 28 – YA Romantics – Horror Movie Quiz
- September 29 – Twirling Pages – Author Q&A
- October 2 – Adventures of a Book Junkie – 5 Reasons to Read TSIYH
- October 3 – Oh the Book Feels – Review
- October 4 – Andi’s ABCs – Author Q&A
- October 5 – Tales of the Ravenous Reader – Event Recap
- October 6 – YA Bibliophile – Top Fall Activities as Inspired by TSIYH
- October 9 – ButterMyBooks – Author Q&A
- October 10 – BookCrushin – Top 10 Horror Villains in Movies & YA
- October 11 – The Wednesday Blog for Books – Review
- October 12 – Swoony Boys Podcast – Dream Casting
- October 13 – Don’t Fold the Page – Review
Your post is hilarious (love the GIFs)! I’m really excited for this book, because I do like scary books. Well, I’ve never actually been scared by a book but I still like the mystery and suspense of them (I’m more scared by visuals, like movies, than the written word). Sounds fun! Thanks for hosting! 🙂
Awesome review! I have a feeling I’ll feel the same way reading this book! lol
I don’t read horror and don’t think i could read the gore discussed in this post, but that being said, my daughter loves this stuff and would “devour” this book. I like suspense and thrillers, but dislike violence. This post was so much fun to read though!!!
I can’t wait to read There’s Someone Inside Your House and see how Stephanie goes with this.I love the cover and hope it lives up to the hype.
“Love today’s blog post? Excited to read There’s Someone Inside Your House? Share your thoughts on today’s post from the blog tour!” I love it. I am excited. I wish to learn more.
I loved this! The GIF reactions were hilarious and definitely made me even more excited for this book!
I’ve been a horror and suspense fan my entire life and I’ve been interested in this book for a while, but I want to read There’s Someone Inside Your House EVEN MORE now that I’ve seen this post!