Today’s Styled by Books feature is part of the official blog tour for Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh, the first in a stunning new series inspired by Feudal Japan. I LOVED this book (see my review here), and had a lot of fun putting together an outfit inspired by the gorgeous cover art. Check out all the details & photos below, then keep reading to learn more about the book and enter for your chance to win a copy.
I took my inspiration from the colors of the book cover for this outfit – pairing a deep purple cardigan (it’s from Eddie Bauer, but I’ve had it for ages and ages) with a mustard yellow dress from eShakti. (This exact dress is not currently available, though I’ve seen it come back from time to time. See their current yellow dresses here.)
I added a purple costume necklace from Charming Charlie for an extra punch of color, and just because I thought it would be fun and whimsical, I threw on my flower crown that I DIY’d for my Ren Faire costume last summer.
The only daughter of a prominent samurai, Mariko has always known she’d been raised for one purpose and one purpose only: to marry. Never mind her cunning, which rivals that of her twin brother, Kenshin, or her skills as an accomplished alchemist. Since Mariko was not born a boy, her fate was sealed the moment she drew her first breath.
So, at just seventeen years old, Mariko is sent to the imperial palace to meet her betrothed, a man she did not choose, for the very first time. But the journey is cut short when Mariko’s convoy is viciously attacked by the Black Clan, a dangerous group of bandits who’ve been hired to kill Mariko before she reaches the palace.
The lone survivor, Mariko narrowly escapes to the woods, where she plots her revenge. Dressed as a peasant boy, she sets out to infiltrate the Black Clan and hunt down those responsible for the target on her back. Once she’s within their ranks, though, Mariko finds for the first time she’s appreciated for her intellect and abilities. She even finds herself falling in love—a love that will force her to question everything she’s ever known about her family, her purpose, and her deepest desires.
Renée Ahdieh is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling The Wrath and the Dawn and The Rose and the Dagger. In her spare time, she likes to dance salsa and collect shoes. She is passionate about all kinds of curry, rescue dogs, and college basketball. The first few years of her life were spent in a high-rise in South Korea; consequently, Renée enjoys having her head in the clouds. She lives in Charlotte, North Carolina, with her husband and their tiny overlord of a dog.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Enter between 12:00 AM Eastern Time on May 8, 2017 and 12:00 AM on June 5, 2017. Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia who are 13 and older. Winners will be selected at random on or about June 10, 2017. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
- May 8 – Two Chicks on Books – Author Q&A
- May 9 – The Eater of Books! – Mood Board
- May 10 – Book Hounds YA – Guest Post
- May 11 – YA Book Central – Excerpt
- May 12 – A Page With A View – Review + Photos
- May 15 – The Young Folks – Guest Post
- May 16 – Once Upon a Twilight – Author Q&A
- May 17 – The Fandom – Guest Post
- May 18 – Alexa Loves Books – Bookish Style File
- May 19 – Fiction Fare – Review
- May 22 – Brittany’s Book Rambles – Review
- May 23 – ButterMyBooks – Review + Photos
- May 24 – Mundie Moms – Author Q&A
- May 25 – A Perfection Called Books – Review
- May 26 – Novel Novice – Flame Styled by Books
- May 29 – Twirling Pages – Review + Photos
- May 30 – Tales of the Ravenous Reader – Guest Post
- May 31 – Oh the Book Feels – Review
- June 1 – Dark Faerie Tales – Author Q&A
- June 2 – The Book’s Buzz – Japanese Lesson