Today, we’re hosting a stop on the official blog tour for Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard — and we’ve got some great content in store for you. Below, you will find:
- Our review of Red Queen
- A “Ten Random Things” post from Victoria Aveyard
- Contest to win Red Queen & other goodies
So keep reading for all these goodies, plus more about Red Queen.
When a book is as hyped as Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard has been ahead of publication, I tend to be a little wary. Is the hype worth it? Are the publishers over-compensating for something? I’ve been burned before by over-hyped books.
Such is NOT the case with Red Queen, which blew me away with how fantastic it was! Though I’m not normally a fantasy reader, I was swept away by this world of Reds and Silvers, of power, corruption, rebellion, betrayal, and romance. I was sucked into Mare’s world and I couldn’t get it out of my head long after finishing the last page. As much as I loved reading Red Queen, I still want more. Which is probably a good thing, since this is the first book in a new series.
Aveyard does a masterful job of world-building, without slowing down the pace of the plot. She is able to introduce this universe while still moving the story forward — and it was easy to slip into the world of Red Queen. That made it all the more enjoyable to dive into the story and the characters, who are the heart of the book. Mare, the princes, her friends and her family, the leaders of the rebellion, the other members of court … each character, big or small, plays a key role in the plot of Red Queen, and Aveyard does an excellent job of making sure each individual feels fully realized, no matter how often they appear within the pages.
Red Queen is a masterful new entry into the fantasy genre, lush with power, betrayal, and love. Look for it in stores February 10th.
- I wrote the entire first draft of Red Queen without a desk. I hunched over a coffee table and probably have permanent back damage from it.
- The two things I promised myself I would get if I sold a manuscript were a desk and a new pair of glasses.
- I hate movie/TV show tie-in book covers.
- I love drawing fictional maps.
- I could eat cheese pizza for every meal for the rest of my life.
- I own two copies (reading copy and fancy copy) of The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, and The Hobbit.
- I spent my 21st birthday waiting in line for George RR Martin to sign my copy of A Dance With Dragons.
- I’m double-jointed on my both my index fingers.
- I bought and filled out a Frozen coloring/puzzle book.
- My favorite Disney ride is Star Tours.
One Winner will get Finished Copies of: RED QUEEN by Victoria Aveyard, THE LAST TIME WE SAY GOODBYE by Cynthia Hand and MY HEART AND OTHER BLACK HOLES by Jasmine Warga
Ships in US only | Must be 13+ To enter
About the Book:
The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.
To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.
Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.
But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?
In stores February 10th from HarperTeen.
Victoria Aveyard is a screenwriter/YA author who likes books and lists. This site is the nexus of my universe. Her book RED QUEEN will be published Winter 2015 from HarperTeen at HarperCollins. She’s repped by the incomparable Suzie Townsend at New Leaf Literary & Media, Inc. The genres she’s into include YA, Fantasy, Historical, Adventure, Apocalyptic – if people are dying, she’s buying. TWITTER | WEBSITE