Yesterday, we introduced you to Handcuffs, a novel by Masque of the Red Death author Bethany Griffin. Today, we have an additional feature for you — Bethany’s study guide for Handcuffs!
Discussion Questions for Handcuffs
2. How do you think modern technology, blogs, myspace, message boards, and email, have changed and revolutionized the art of gossip?
3. What challenges would a middle child face, particularly one with siblings like Preston and Paige?
4. What does Parker believe about her sister Paige’s life, popularity, and happiness, and how are her beliefs challenged by discoveries she makes within the book?
5. Why do you think Parker allows her ex-boyfriend to put the handcuffs on her?
6. Do you think Parker really is an ice princess? If so, what are the characteristics of an ice princess, and how did she become one?
7. Describe Parker’s friendship with Raye. Do you think Raye is a good friend? Explain.
8. Compare and Contrast this book with another book of YA contemporary fiction.
9. Describe Parker’s ex-boyfriend. Include Parker’s impressions and your impressions of him.
10. Is it better for him to lie, or not to say it at all? See the back of the book if you need clarification on this one.
Themes from Handcuffs
1. Obsession- obsession means being totally into someone (or something) so much that you lose sight of yourself. There are several characters who are obsessed in this book. Parker, Paige, Kyle, to name a few.
2. Choices- characters in Handcuffs make choices. Some of them are good and some are maybe not so good or smart. That’s where you get into…
3. Consequences- for every choice there is a consequence. But it isn’t always what you expect.
4. Self Image- or being comfortable with yourself. As a self proclaimed Ice Princess, Parker has decided some things about herself. We all define ourselves in some ways, and it can be hard to break out and change.