There’s something magical about seeing a series come together in its final installment — and there is magic aplenty in Forever by Maggie Stiefvater — the third and final book in her Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy. In this final installment, everything that transpired in the first two books comes to a dramatic climax:
In Maggie Stiefvater’s SHIVER, Grace and Sam found each other. In LINGER, they fought to be together. Now, in FOREVER, the stakes are even higher than before. Wolves are being hunted. Lives are being threatened. And love is harder and harder to hold on to as death comes closing in.
I’m going to attempt to keep this review 100% spoiler-free, so bear with me if I am vague. Keeping that in mind, here is why Forever totally rocks:
1. It’s not an easy story. Stiefvater has crafted a complex drama for her characters in Shiver and Linger, and in Forever she masterfully brings everything full circle. She’s clearly done a lot of leg work on the research and planning — and that’s evident in each twist the story takes.
2. Romance that makes you swoon. As always, the romance between Sam and Grace is beautiful — and Stiefvater takes things to a whole new level in Forever, as the couple is forced to face the challenges ahead of them (something they largely tried to ignore in Linger). But there’s a whole new element of chemistry that sizzles as Isabelle and Cole struggle to figure out what they mean to each other — as well as what roles they will take in the unfolding drama.
3. More to the story. There’s so much going on in Forever — and I love that there are all these different layers to the story. For the sake of avoiding spoilers, I’ll keep this short, but my two favorite elements are: the wolves (not Sam & Grace) and Grace’s parents. Tough subjects both beautifully addressed.
4. Beautiful prose. As always, Stiefvater’s writing is elegant and perfectly crafted. Each passage just oozes onto the page, and I often found myself getting caught up in the language. It’s simply breathtaking.
5. Pitch-perfect ending. It can be hard ending any book, but especially the last in the series. You often run the risk of disappointing or even angering fans — and in many cases, fans will be split on their opinion of the finale. However, as far as I’m concerned, Stiefvater has crafted the perfect ending to her Wolves of Mercy Falls series. While much of Forever made me anxious as a reader and kept me on edge, I closed the book feeling entirely satisfied — and ultimately, that’s what I look for when I read.
Forever is in stores tomorrow, July 12th.