Suzanne Collins probably doesn’t really need me to toot her horn … but I’ve spent a very intense weekend devouring The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, so it wouldn’t seem right if I didn’t include her for Author Appreciation Week.
Let me share my story.
I’ve heard lots and lots and LOTS of buzz about The Hunger Games over the last couple years. It sounded interesting. I wanted to read it. But there are lots of books I want to read, so it sort of got pushed aside. Fast-forward to January this year … I became even more involved in the world of YA lit than ever before when we launched this site, and I started hearing even more about The Hunger Games (as if that were even possible). Then, I came very close to reading spoilers about what happens in the books. It quickly became apparent that I needed to read this book pronto.
So while browsing at the book store a few weeks ago, I picked up The Hunger Games. I thought of buying book 2, Catching Fire at the same time, but thought, Oh, no, Sara. Let’s be practical. Make sure you like the first book before you go buying the sequel.
Silly, silly me.
I started reading The Hunger Games last week, and by Friday night, I was really into the thick of it. I finally forced myself to go to sleep with about 100 pages left — but I woke up early Saturday morning and plowed through the rest of the book. I was done by 9am, at which point I promptly showered and rushed to the book store to purchase Catching Fire. Then I spent the next five hours reading the entire thing.
And then, of course, I gasped, screamed and wailed, bemoaning the wait until August 24th, when book 3, Mockingjay, will finally be released.
Needless to say, I’ve got a new favorite trilogy and I literally can’t stop thinking about these books. I totally get the hype and I’m on board.
- The Hunger Games
- Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2)
- Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3 due out Aug. 24, 2010)
- Gregor the Overlander: Book One in the Underland Chronicles
- Gregor & the Prophecy of Bane: Book Two in the Underland Chronicles
- Gregor & the Curse of the Warmbloods: Book Three in the Underland Chronicles
- Gregor & the Marks of Secret: Book Four in the Underland Chronicles
- Gregor & the Code of Claw: Book Five in the Underland Chronicles
- When Charlie McButton Lost Power