* I was at KidLitCon last weekend, when Team Human by Justine Larbalestier & Sarah Rees Brennan was announced — but Justine’s proud hubby Scott Westerfeld showed me the cover on his phone & told me all about the book, describing it as “Twilight from the best friend’s perspective.” And yeah, he sold me. It sounds awesome:
A girl and a vampire fall madly in love… The girl’s best friend is deeply unimpressed.
* Hilary Graham also unveiled the cover for her upcoming debut novel, Reunited. I met Hilary at BEA earlier this year & got to chat with her about this book — and frankly, it sounds great!
Alice, Summer, and Tiernan are ex-best friends.
Back in middle school, the three girls were inseparable. They were also the number one fans of the rock band Level3.
But when the band broke up, so did their friendship. Summer ran with the popular crowd, Tiernan was a rebellious wild-child, and Alice spent high school with her nose buried in books.
Now, just as the girls are about to graduate, Level3 announces a one-time-only reunion show.
Even though the concert’s 2000 miles away, Alice buys three tickets on impulse. And as it turns out, Summer and Tiernan have their own reasons for wanting to get out of town. Good thing Alice’s graduation gift (a pea-green 1976 VW camper van know as the Pea Pod) is just the vehicle to get them there.
But on the long drive cross-country, the girls hit more than a few bumps in the road. Will their friendship get an encore or is the show really over?
* Clarity by Kim Harrington has a GORGEOUS new cover for its upcoming paperback release, which matches the design for the upcoming sequel Perception:
* We also finally got the plot synopsis for Insurgent by Veronica Roth, the highly anticipated sequel to Divergent:
One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.
Tris’s initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.
* Our good friend Savanna New from Picktainment. com interviewed Cassandra Clare to talk about her phenomenal Mortal Instruments series & the upcoming City of Bones movie:
Do you think Clary Fray (the protagonist of The Mortal Instruments) would get along with Harry Potter? We know he has a thing for redheads…
Well, as Simon says in City of Fallen Angels, “Clary has a boyfriend. The nuclear bomb of boyfriends.” So I think they would be strictly platonic, but sure, they’d get along. They could complain about how it sucks to always have to be battling the evil dude.
* Some great book trailers were released this week, including one that has got to be the sexiest book trailer I’ve ever seen for The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin:
* You can now also check out the trailer for A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, a book that looks absolutely stunning & which I can’t wait to read. I heard Patrick talk about working on this book last year when he was at Wordstock, and I’ve been anticipating its release ever since:
* There’s also a pretty spectacular trailer now available for Liesl & Po by Lauren Oliver, her first middle grade novel. It also features an original song inspired by the book:
* And the fabulous Stasia Ward Kehoe also unveiled the trailer for her book Audition:
* Summit Entertainment has announced that the first single from The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1 Soundtrack will be “It Will Rain” by Bruno Mars. The complete track listing will be unveiled Monday, and the soundtrack goes on sale Nov. 8th.